A Brief History of Osmosys Records
I started the Terra Nova label in 1995. The idea was to release non pop artsits at a budget price, hence the slogan 'affordable discoveries'. I tried to emulate what Naxos records had done in the classical market by maintaining a consistent style, but unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that Naxos had the advantage of names like Mozart, Chopin and Brahms whilst I had people who (although I love every release) were hardly household names! However I was encouraged by sales of Nick Harper, Les Barker and Artisan and began to think about a full price label.
It was around 1999 when a firend and business associate John Garrad asked me if I wanted to take over Osmosys which had risen out of Plant Life and has a really interesting catalogue; there were ablums by Dougie Maclean, Blowzabella and Maddy Prior. It was a perfect stablemate for Terra Nova, and so I said yes.
On completing the deal John happened to mention that I may get phone calls enquiring about 'Redbush' tea which is a relatively little known caffine free beverage from South Africa. Apparently he had been involved with a tea importer who, for reasons I expect to be very complicated, used the old Osmosys office and phone line. This was very stange because Terra Nova had also bought redbush tea in bulk, albeit on a smaller scale, in a very roundabout set of circumstances to help a friend who was stocking a newly leased shop. I wondered what the odds were against two record labels labels coming together who dealt in any kind of tea let alone a specialist such as this one.This then is the story behind our samplers unusual title.
This album features most of the original releases together with the new signings and distribution only albums since I took over. I hope you find something to catch your attention. All the albums are available from our updated website together with Terra Nova and Droffig Records (chamber music and spoken word).
Richard Ellin, Llandysul, Jan 2005
- Lord of the Dance - Maddy Prior
- Evie - Mike Heron
- Shipping Forecast - Brian Perkins
- Avalon Yet - And Did THose Feet
- Indigo - The Mosaic Orchestra
- Chinese White (2004 Version) Incredible String Band
- Ye Banks and Braces O' Bonnie Doon - Dougie Maclean
- Krummshots - Fregja
- The Old Life Gloria Knows - Anthony John Clarke
- American Tunes - Tony Hall
- Les A Lurighan - Campbell, Roberts, Maclean
- The New Jigs - Blowzabella
- The Blacksmith - Emma Heath
- A Laxity Of Morals - Tanteeka
- Goro Zelena - Vulcheva - Jenkins Incident
- The Ride - Celtarabia
- Fly High - Quietly Spinning Man